Can someone call up New England for me and let her know that it’s May? We should be knee deep in the prettiest spring weather, flowers, birds chirping, and sunshine but instead it’s cold outside and raining all week. What gives! Not cool.
Good thing I’m escaping to Florida next weekend! Eeep! Sorry for the humble brag (for lack of a better term), but I really can’t wait to get the hell out of dodge.
Side note: I had no idea what that expression was about or what it meant until I just googled it after it popped into my head. Dodge is a real place in Kansas apparently. I’m not sure I understand why people want to get out of there, but the more I think about it, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere in Kansas either I guess (no offense, Kansas. I’m sure you’re lovely! It’s not you- it’s me!).
With my mini vacation feeling far away, I’m once again turning to food to brighten my spirits. If I ignore the weather outside and live like it’s not gross out there- my reality will be sunnier, right? Kind of like if I ignore Donald Trump and pretend he isn’t real, he won’t exist in the presidential election anymore, right? Please say yes. Please!
Similar to how I wish I had a filter on my life so that I wouldn’t have to deal with anything other than Hillary Clinton love and support, I have a filter on my food choices so that I’m only eating tropical everything. I’ve got two (!) recipes to share with you today that I’m obsessed with. Food and drink!
The first is an epic burger bowl. Because in my life, the best food is served in bowls.I made burgers seasoned with plenty of garlic and onion powder (plus salt of course) and served them with a simple mango guacamole (recipe below) over a bed of sautéed kale that has been kicked up a notch by some thinly sliced onions and a splash or two of apple cider vinegar.Radiating on the side of the bowl are plantain fries! Yes- I said plantain FRIES! (recipe below)Mango, guac, plantains… yep it’s pretty much the tropics over here in my kitchen.
While cooking this meal, I sipped on THIS drink! I ‘grammed it the other day and its so simple, I feel silly for even sharing it, but it’s so good that I can’t not! (recipe below)Okay okay, here are the recipes:
Simple Mango Guac
- Ingredients: 1 ripe yellow mango (diced), 1 ripe avocado, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp sea salt, and juice from half a lemon.
- Directions: I like to mash my avocado in a bowl and then stir in the remaining ingredients. It’s as easy as that… really.
- Ingredients: 2 green plantains, 1.5 tbs coconut oil, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp kosher salt.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel the plantains carefully. Cut each one into three sections. Cut each section in half lengthwise (the long way). Cut each piece in half again (the long way) so that you have potato wedge like shaped plantain pieces.
- Toss the plantains in melted coconut oil and the seasonings.
- Lay out on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for forty minutes- flipping once halfway through.
Two Step Pineapple Cooler
- Ingredients: Plain sparkling water and BluePrint’s Cold Pressed Pineapple, Apple, Mint Juice (can be found in most grocery stores similar to Whole Foods).
- Directions: Fill a tall glass with ice and fill it 3/4 of the way with sparkling water. I use about 1/2 a bottle of the smaller sized poland springs water. Top it off with the fruit juice! I use about 1/4 of a bottle of the BluePrint.
This would make a pretty baller Friday night meal… just sayin’